Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Big Year: Birding Chicagoland 2013

January 1st, 2013 - with Jack.
20 degrees, sunny, cold, light wind
North Park Spillway

That's how I started 2013. A little notepad and pen, binoculars, Sibley's Eastern Birds, Chicago Audubon Society's Chicagoland Bird Checklist, Nikon camera, boots, hat, tissue, and a little 6yo boy. (Did I mention it was 20 degrees outside?)

My son and I have been birding together since he was three, not because he wanted to bird, but because he was in preschool for only a couple of hours a week. During bird migration season I can't ignore the Chicago River that's only yards from my house...so he had to come along.

By the time he was five he could identify most of the common local birds by sight and sound. By the time he was six he could identify birds he hadn't seen before, but read about in his bird book or watched on his bird call DVD.

We decided that 2013 would be our 'Big Chicago Year.' We can't do a traditional 'Big Year' - counting as many birds around the U.S. from Jan 1 to Dec 31, for one my son has to finish 1st grade, and for two I am not independently wealthy - but we are happy to keep it local and enjoy the challenge.

Male House Sparrow: #7. Magic Hedge Montrose/Lake M.
As I wrote in a previous article, Chicago is for the Birds, Chicagoans have the wonderful opportunity to see hundreds of different species right in the city due to its ideal location in the midst of a major migratory route, also known as the Mississippi Flyway.

This is the excitement of our 'Big Year.' Without leaving the Chicagoland area we can possibly see over 300 different species throughout the year.

I have my favorite spots like The Magic Hedge and some prime locations along the North Branch of the Chicago River, but in order to maximize our sightings we will be stepping it up a notch this year. I signed up with the Illinois Birders Forum so I can check for rare and unusual sightings. Local birders will post their sightings almost immediately increasing the chances of finding a species significantly.

Male Northern Cardinal: #6. N. Branch Chic. River Spillway
There are many things I like about the 'Big Year.' My son has become a bird snob and when we see a common bird he often poo poos it. But now every bird counts (at least once), even the exotics. I'm not one to check a bird off the list and run to the next. I enjoy the whole experience of being in nature including watching and listening to birds. I'd like him to enjoy it too.

Our first day reaped 16 different species and my son got to add a new species to his life list. I will occasionally write a blog about our progress. Even if you aren't a birder I hope you enjoy it.

Day 1.
North Branch Chicago River Spillway
#1 Mallard
#2 Ring-billed gull
#3 Yellow-rumped warbler
#4 Common goldeneye
#5 Dark-eyed junco
#6 Northern cardinal

Magic Hedge - Montrose/Lake M.
#7 House sparrow
#8 Downy woodpecker
#9 Black-capped chickadee
#10 Song sparrow
#11 American tree sparrow
#12 Canada goose

Montrose Harbor
#13 Rock dove
#14 Common Merganser
#15 American coot
#16 American crow

Will you bird this year? Spring migration is only a few months away!

Alexandra Gnoske is a nature lover, writer, and environmental expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment