Sunday, September 1, 2013

After the Storm: Images from my Neighborhood

There was a huge storm Friday night in Chicago that took out power, blew whole trees over and I'm sure at some point caused some injuries. I hope everyone is OK.


This tree came right out of the ground and landed on two cars in Albany Park

I took a walk going west around my neighborhood the next morning - this included parts of North Park, Mayfair, and Albany Park - after the major thunderstorm (and downpour this morning) to see what things looked like.

North Branch of the Chicago River where Mayfair, Albany, and North Park meet
drain at above river location


I found damage throughout the neighborhoods and parks including Eugene Field and Little Gompers. I also found lots of wildlife and took some images of the native wildflowers.


Bernard Street Bridge and N. Branch Chicago River

I decided to go out walking for two reasons: one, I heard a tree fell over our bridge a half block away (picture above); two, I was involved in storm recovery last night and this morning due to 3 baby squirrels I found laying soaked and stunned in front of my house (story and video forthcoming in my next blog post).

Milkweed variety at Little Gompers

I had to find out what else was going on before the day got away. I hope you enjoy the images, especially if you live in the neighborhood!

Lightning McQueen backpack in N.B.C.River by Eugene Field

Beer can at Little Gompers by waterfall


Large branch broken of an Ohio Buckeye at Eugene Field


Ohio Buckeye fruit at Eugene Field


grasshopper at Little Gompers

Mallard at Little Gompers Pond

Mallard hiding at Little Gompers

hard to see and capture an image - mink at Little Gompers Pond


Alexandra Gnoske is a Nature Lover, Writer, and Environmental Expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment