Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Too Much Plastic: 3 easy ways to reduce your plastic right now

I just read - (or more appropriately watched) - an article on 'Distractify' with 27 images of plastic in our lives and in our world. Powerful.

If you haven't traveled the world or traveled the ocean, you may not have seen images like this before.

Yamuna River in New Delhi - source article on Distractify

However, the article left out something very important - hope.

So here are 3 things you can do right now to reduce a big part of your plastic consumption:

1) BRING CLOTH BAGS EVERYWHERE!
Yes, you've heard this before, but have you done it? Cloth bags, baskets, etc. aren't just for the grocery store. Oh - did you forget yours in your car? Everyplace has bags for sale, so consider that your bag tax or if you have only an item or two, forgo the bag all together. Make it a HABIT!

My favorite Glass Bottle made from recycled glass

2) GET A REUSABLE BOTTLE - Maybe even two or three.
There's nothing like drinking water from a glass. If you need something more portable get a stainless steel water bottle, like Kleen Kanteen. I got the above glass bottle from Peaceful Parlour 3 years ago - still my favorite way to drink water when I leave home.

The other day I was out with my 3 kids who are well versed in plastic consumption and reusable products. "I'm thirsty!" Meaning buy me some water. I pointed out the drinking fountain. What a concept!

Most of the time you aren't hiking for 36 hours in extreme need of water for fear of dehydration. Relax. It's not that hard to find some water.

Glass Dharma straws for smoothies or shakes


3) MAKE THE GLASS STRAW PLEDGE
I could live the rest of my life without straws, but apparently my kids can't, along with a lot of other people.

The easiest thing to do is avoid straws altogether. You can also buy the unbreakable glass straws from  Glass Dharma. Not only do they come in all shapes and sizes, they have convenient carriers so you can take your straw with you - a perfect going away to college gift!

Not into glass? Get bamboo straws, pretty cool.

You can make a difference right now - yes you can!

What do you do to reduce your plastic impact?

Alexandra Gnoske is a nature lover, writer, and environmental expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment